5 Free FLV Players for Mac Users
by Christine Smith вЂў 2020-09-21 16:04:28 вЂў Proven solutions
Developed by Adobe Systems, FLV is the most widely used video format adopted by online video sharing platforms such as YouTube, Hulu, VEVO, Metacafe and many others. If you download video clips from the internet and want to play them on your Mac, you cannot do so without an FLV media player. Since many of the products developed by Adobe Systems are designed to run on Windows, you might encounter problems trying to play FLV videos on a Mac computer. As we all know, Apple’s default media player-QuickTime doesn’t come with the codecs required to play FLV files.
To play videos in FLV format, Mac users often turn to Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) to convert your FLV video to Mac supported formats, or search additional plugins for Quicktime, or install a third-party FLV player. In this article, we have collected the 5 Best media players recommended to play FLV videos on Mac (Mojave included).
Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) -Your Complete Video Toolbox
- Convert video to over 1000 formats, including MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, MKV, MOV and more
- Convert to optimized preset for almost all of the devices
- 30X faster conversion speed than any conventional converters
- Edit, enhance & personalize your video files
- Burn and customize your DVD with free DVD menu templates
- Download or record videos from 10,000+ video sharing sites
- Versatile toolbox combines fix video metadata, GIF maker, VR converter and screen recorder
- Industry-leading APEXTRANS technology converts videos with zero quality loss or video compression
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6
Part 1. Tips on Choosing the Best FLV Video Player for Mac
There are hundreds of video players available today online, which one is the best choice? A good FLV player:
- Should offer crisp image quality
- Should feature a user-friendly interface
- Must be free of ads, viruses, malware or spyware
- Have a strong coding ability and should let us play videos in many other formats
- Be light on resources and take up little disk space
Part 2. 5 Useful Media Players Recommended to Play FLV Videos on Mac (Mojave included)
1. Wimpy Player
Pros: User-friendly interface and plays files easily.
Cons: Unattractive layout and basic features
5KPlayer is an all-purpose media player that handles FLV media well. Its enhanced playback capabilities also allow it to play 4K and 5K videos in other video formats such as MKV, AVI, FLV, WMV, MP4 and more. This amazing FLV player allows you to download videos from video sharing websites, play videos with multiple subtitles and stream video or music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod to Mac.
In addition to its video player capabilities, 5KPlayer can also play most of the popular music file formats such as MP3, AAC, AC3 and FLAC. 5KPlayer comes with many useful features and aims to provide a complete media user-experience.
Pros: It is well organized, and its sleek interface makes it easy to use.
Cons: Not customizable and difficult to uninstall.
3. VLC Media Player
VLC Player is a well-known lightweight video player that allows Mac users to play FLV video files without requiring them to install additional codecs. Among video players, it is famous for supporting the most video formats across major operating systems. This media player packs a lot of advanced features for a free program. It gives users the ability to preview incomplete/partially downloaded files and stream live content from the internet. VLC also supports almost all of the music file formats music available today, and its graphic equalizer and visualization features are sure to enhance your music experience.
- It is 100% free, no strings attached
- Highly customizable
Cons: Does not play Blu-ray movies
4. Elmedia Player
Elmedia Video Player is an alternative media player for Mac that can handle FLV video format, without requiring the installation of additional codecs. It is available as a free version and paid version, which upgrades the player to unlock audio playback control settings, allow downloading of YouTube content, and grab still images from videos.
Like many of the players in this list, Elmedia Player supports various audio and video formats, including FLV, SWF, MP4, AVI, MOV, MP4, DAT, MP3, etc. Mac users can also create and save playlists, load subtitle files and adjust the playback speed.
Pros: Create and manage playlists easily
- Tries to install extra components
- Heavy on resources
5. Sothink FLV Player
Sothink FLV Player is a multifunctional media player for Mac, which can play a variety of formats, including FLV. It is lightweight, easy to use, and supports a lot of codecs, including Screen Video, Sorenson H. 263 and H.264, on2 vp6, and many others.
This media player’s interface is clean and simplistic. It allows Mac users to download online videos and gives access to other basic tools, including pause and stop, volume adjusts, jump frames backward/forward, etc.
Mac FLV Player For Free 1.0
” Лучший FLV Player для Mac теперь совершенно бесплатно! “
Как отличный видео плеер Flash, Sothink Free FLV Player для Mac является небольшой размер и полностью бесплатным для пользователей, чтобы проигрывать файлы FLV видео на Mac OS. Он поддерживает воспроизведение всех видео-файлов с расширением FLV (*. FLV), в том числе и закодированные различными кодеками, как Screen Video, Sorenson H. 263, H.264, On2 VP6 и т.д. Кроме того, файлы FLV на Mac, Sothink Бесплатный FLV Player для Mac также может проигрывать Flash-видео на линию один раз URL предлагают. Просто дважды щелкните флэш видео или перетащить файл FLV для воспроизведения, а затем она готова быть воспроизведены на видео удовольствие. Окно для воспроизведения флэш-видео может быть повторно размера свободно и удобный список воспроизведения и легко игра управления кнопки может помочь сделать программу более удобной.Основные характеристики:. 100% свободного программного обеспечения.б. Играть флэш видео гладко.в. Проигрывать Flash видео в Интернете через URL напрямую.г. Поддержка перетаскивания несколько FLV файлов в список воспроизведения.е. Авто адаптации и изменения размера окна в соответствии FLV файл.ф. Поддержка различных режимов масштабирования.г. Предоставление списка воспроизведения.ч. Обеспечить простой и понятный интерфейс.
Требования: Only for Mac OS X 10.5
Что нового в этой версии: * Play Flash videos smoothly. * Input URL to play online Flash videos directly. * Auto adaptation and . resize window to fit FLV file. * Support different zoom modes. * Support full screen mode. * Provide play list to manage Flash . videos. * Provide simple and clear interface.
The Best FLV Player for Mac – Top 5 Solutions to Play FLV
Table of content:
Choose a Top FLV Player for Mac and Enjoy
And with Elmedia Player PRO you can stream your FLV files wirelessly to any Smart TV or DLNA-enabled devices via AirPlay, Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra. It’s got a built-in online video viewing option so you can watch or stream directly from YouTube and other popular sites – ad-free – and create your personalized playlist with subtitle overlays and robust audio adjustments as well. Overall, it’s truly an incredible way to play FLV files on Mac.
- Multiple file formats supported
- Fully customizable video and audio playback personalization and controls
- Versatile subtitle support and features
- Wireless streaming capabilities across multiple devices
- Custom playlist creation
- Ad-free online streaming experience
- Limited support for older devices
- Only available for Macs
2. Cisdem Video Player
Cisdem Video Player is our next in line in our list of best Mac FLV players. Although not completely free, the app does offer a healthy range of features for free users. With this player, you have the same ability as other players to view your video files in many different formats. You can also stream 4K and 5K HD content without worrying about lagging video or slowdowns. And depending on whether you want it, you can also buy an additional converter software.
- Over 50 file formats supported
- Personalized playback support and customization
- Smooth 4K and 5K video playback
- User-friendly UI, easy to navigate and intuitive controls layout
- Unstable playback when on dual-core laptops
- Conversion feature only available in the paid version
Next up and a strong contender for a top FLV video player for Mac is 5KPlayer. This app makes playing FLV files on Mac a breeze and here’s why. You get many of the same high-end features of other players like support for multiple formats and a long list of customization features. But more than that, you get the benefits of a fully-functioning and reliable video and audio converter, downloading options from YouTube and a playlist creation tool. Essentially this FLV player is like the perfect hybrid of audio software and video software in one.
- Beautiful 8K HD viewing experience
- Customizable media library and playlists
- Full-featured video to audio converter
- Smooth AirPlay connectivity for screen mirroring and screen recording applications
- Support for latest macOS version and other popular devices
- New users may need time to get used to configuration
Wimpy offers a very minimalist solution for your FLV file needs. There are no fancy features but it does play video and audio files reliably and consistently. With a simple drag and drop feature, the Wimpy FLV player can play files back to back with ease. Customize your layout with provided skins to add a bit of personality. Best of all, this app is compatible with all desktops, phones, and tablets.
- Simple to use; to the point
- Drag and drop makes for an easy and intuitive application
- Free to download
- Less attractive visual design
- Feels a little outdated
- Not feature-heavy
5. VLC Media Player
Now you might have heard about this free FLV player Mac app before. Not only is it one of the most popular options out there, but also one of the oldest. Commonly known as the player that plays all formats, this FLV player for Mac can do much more than that. It lets you customize your viewing settings to give you the best experience possible. Personalize skins and themes the way you like it. This app is completely free, with no additional purchases necessary and offers full privacy and an ad-free experience that lets you immerse deeply into your media content.
- Highly customizable skins and extensions
- No spyware or user tracking
- Supports almost all kinds of file formats
- Completely ad-free experience
- Unstable DVD playback
- Software decoding limitations and hardware support resulting in inconsistent and choppy playback of 4K HD videos
- UI feels outdated and not as inspired as more modern and updated apps
Table to Find the Best Mac FLV Player in 2020
If you’re still wondering how to watch FLV files on Mac, here’s a comprehensive list for you. We’ve made it easy for you to compare between the top FLV player Mac apps so you get the perfect one for you!
What Is an FLV File?
FLV stands for Flash Video. It’s a container video file format that transmits video and audio over the Internet by using the commonly known Adobe Flash Player. This file format comes under the .flv file extension and has been the standard video format on sites in all kinds of industries and fields.
Most streaming sites like YouTube and Hulu use this format as a simple way to embed video content but they’ve slowly moved away from this file format towards HTML5.
More Information on Flash Video File Formats
As we mentioned earlier, the file extension for FLV files is .flv. But this isn’t the only extension in which the Flash Video file format falls under. They can also be labeled as F4V, F4A, F4B, or F4P.
What’s interesting with the FLV format is that many popular, big-name companies like Facebook, YouTube, Netflix, and others have long been using .flv as their default file format. But recently, they’ve been transitioning completely to the newer HTML5 format instead.
Well, Adobe is no longer supporting the Flash format after 2020. Also, as support for some devices has been lacking, it’s led to a longer and less efficient process of consuming media content. HTML5 does a much better job of being adaptable and more applicable on a various number of devices and platforms than Flash is.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Best FLV Players on Mac:
How do I Convert FLV Files to Mac?
It’s very simple and takes only a few steps.
- Download a third-party platform like Wondershare Free Video Converter on your Mac.
- Drag and drop your chosen FLV files into the app window. Or, you can simply click the “Add Files” button and locate your file on your Mac.
- Choose your desired format from the video tab by clicking on “Convert all tasks to” and open the formats list.
- Click on the “Convert All” button to start the conversion.
Your FLV file is now converted to the new format on your Mac.
Can Chrome Play FLV files?
Can VLC Convert FLV to MP4?
Yes, you can convert FLV files to MP4 with VLC Media Player.
- Simply go to “Media”.
- “Convert/Save in VLC”.
- Click “Add” in the file tab.
- Then finally, select the FLV file you want to convert and click “Open”.